23.3.12

Waxwing!

So today was a brilliant day's birding: I saw my first Waxwing! 

Rob Jaques and myself were at Oak Road Playing fields on the look out for grass snakes, and after rescuing several toads from the path, we took a 5 min breather. I was just casually scanning  the trees above me and saw a small bird. This disappeared and was replaced by a slightly larger bird. From the profile, and colours I immediately said Waxwing, although I thought I was probably being stupid, as it's so late and it wasn't munching on berries as seems to be the typical behaviour. Luckily, despite the fact I had already made several stupid comments throughout the day, Rob still had a look was able to confirm, and took some pretty good pictures! It was amazing, and I never imagined getting that at all today, definitely one of if not the most awesome bird I've seen!

Picture by Rob Jaques

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Erich and thanks David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Jess! Can you find me one for Tophill now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Richard! That would be awesome, I am looking a lot more now just generally so I don't miss anything else good!

    ReplyDelete